Under the Australian Curriculum the English curriculum at Latham assists learners to:
- be enthusiastic and discriminating users of spoken, written and visual language
- speak, listen, read, view and write with purpose, effect and confidence
- use a variety of suitable strategies to compose and comprehend texts, experience texts, and creatively and imaginatively respond to a wide range of texts
- discuss and analyse spoken, written and visual texts and language critically and with appreciation
- understand linguistic structures and features and effectively use them when speaking, listening, reading and writing for different purposes
A Balanced Literacy Program incorporates a variety of literacy strategies, carefully selected materials for each activity.